Covid-19 epidemic is a threat to mankind across the globe. Improving immunity and naturally fighting against the infection is very important to retain optimal health. As there is no confirmed medication for Covid-19 till now so it is very meaningful to take the preventive measures and avoid the spread of infection. Simultaneously it also becomes vital to take steps towards immune boosting measures. Ayurveda emphasis more on Swasthya Rakshana (health preservation) and Swasthya Paripalana(promotion of health) rather only on treatment aspects. Ayurveda always speaks about a healthy living; Ayurveda classics lay more emphasis on health promoting measures.
Dinacharya and Rtucharya (daily & seasonal regimen) are the important aspects that help in preserving the health status. Seasonal detoxification helps in enhancing and conserving the health condition. In these pandemic days of Covid-19, where the world is keen towards acquiring a better health and a strong immunity within to fight against the infection. Social and physical distancing is a great weapon to halt the spread of infections and it is also the need of the hour to adopt the measures that helps in enhancing the immunity.
Ministry of AYUSH has proposed certain guideline that promotes the immunity of the person, and these are not only confined to build immunity against Covid-19 but enhance the general immunity and prepare to overcome against infectious diseases.
These are the simple guidelines which can be easily followed by everyone to enhance immunity:
- Drink warm water throughout the day: Intake of warm water will help in combating respiratory illnesses and other seasonal disorders. It breaks the accumulation of kapha and improves digestion and metabolism, thus improves the positive health.
- Chyavanaprasha is a well-known Ayurvedic formulation and has become a routine for many since ages. It is a Rasayana, which is well known for immune promoting action specifically on respiratory system (Pranavaha strotas). Amalaki is a key herb that enriches immunity and is the prime ingredient of Chyavanaprasha, thus having definitive immune primitive features. Adding Chyavanaprashan into daily routine will be a better measure to improve immunity. Dose: 10gm morning empty stomach.
- Herbal decoction or Tea: Herbal tea prepared with Tulasi (Basil), Twak (Cinnamon), Maricha (Black Pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger), Draksha (Raisin) once or twice a day will help to decline vitiated Kapha dosha and enhance the metabolism.
- Turmeric milk (Golden milk): Turmeric is very well known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious properties, regular intake of turmeric in the diet gives multiple benefits to promote health. To prepare turmeric milk take half tea spoon Haridra (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk and boil, take once or twice a day
- Nasya Karma: Nasya Karma is one among the Panchakarma procedure and has enormous & proved health promotive benefits. It is also a procedure that is involved in the daily regimen (Dinacharya). The dry mucus membrane of nasal cavity acts as a source for infectious microbes and oleating this mucus membrane will help in bringing an unfavourable atmosphere for the microbial growth. 2-4 drops of warm sesame oil/coconut oil/ghee preferably morning in empty stomach.
- Kavala (oil pulling therapy): The process of gargling medicated oil/ ghee. It also has the effect similar to Nasya in moisturising the mucus membrane and avoiding the infectious microbes. Method: Take 1tsp sesame/coconut oil in mouth, hold and do gargling for 2 to 3 minutes later spit it off, rinse with warm water. This can be performed once or twice a day.
- Steam inhalation: Inhalation of steam with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day, this helps in relieving nasal congestion aids better immunity and respiratory health.
- Yoga practices: Daily practice of Yogasana like Suryanamaskara, Bhujangasana, Sasangasana, Dhanurasana, Pranayama like Nadishuddhi, Kapalabhati, Bhramari and meditation for at least 30 minutes helps in contending the mental stress and culminate the negativity of mind thus maintains mental health.
- Important Spices: Adding the Spices like Haridra (Turmeric), Jeeraka (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander), Lavanga (Clove) and Lasuna (Garlic) into the daily diet is recommended for a health living.
Conclusion: This article is about how Ayurveda can be useful in promoting the immunity against the pandemic covid-19 or other infectious diseases in general.
Thinking will not overcome the fear but action will. It’s the peak time to all of us to adopt a better lifestyle with the guidelines of Ayurveda.